Featured Post

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sunday evening-Union Station-Chicago


watercolor
14" x 21"
$250


Tim and I were up in Chicago on Sunday and we were out taking photos for future paintings. We went to Union Station since I haven't been there in years. I remember when I worked close by and there was this neat bakery in the station. I used to stop and get a flying saucer before work. It was a flat cup cake (yellow) with chocolate frosting. What better way to start my day.

This is actually the original Union Station and there is an addition which is next to it. This beautiful "space" is rented out for weddings and galas. Enjoy...listen for the trains.

6 comments:

Meera Rao said...

I love the old majestic grand train stations! This is a beautiful painting!

Studio at the Farm said...

Lovely painting, Kathy! And I can almost hear the trains.

Kathy said...

Meera...then you would love this place. It was so quiet in there and the way the lights reflected on that stone floor was awesome. I don't think I did this place justice. I do have some more photos that I took, but I will do another painting of this at a later time. Maybe I will do some more flowers. lol. Thanks for stopping by and for you comments :))

Kathy said...

Catherine...I think that train that you hear is headed your way. I should jump on it to come and meet you :)) Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your comments.

Arena Shawn said...

The yellow glow in blue surroundings definitely says "center of attention" ;-). I find your color usage beautiful and effective. When I paint landscapes I often paint the colors too literally so I'm studying your color usage and hopefully try to have a color scheme in mind next time I paint... Nice job on this one again!

Kathy said...

Thanks Arena for such high compliments. It was a challenge so the yellow and the blue did not turn green. My first attempt at this combination....I pained the yellow (aureolin..transparent and a bit staining) and then let it dry TOTALLY and then paint the blue. Lots of Ultamarine blue (transparent), cobalt and a bit of magnanese blue (that will lift). When glazing...use transparent colors for the glow and to keep the painting from getting muddy. Try out those colors, have fun and remember...you have an artistic license so you can use any color on anything. Happy painting :))